... She's Got A Name, I Don't Care
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
... She's Got A Name, I Don't Care
Martha, Martha, Martha. Many people argue with me about this, but I've always considered her the most engaging of the two famous siblings. While what's-his-name does boast a formidable Tin Pan Alley croon, sister Martha's breathy lilt recalls the epic folk of Fairport Convention, which to me holds more weight. She sang "BMFA," which made me happy; she also sang "Factory," which made me want to be her boyfriend... Also, Marjorie Fair and Summer Darling kicked major sassafras with their respective takes on epic pedal board rock. Juicy.

Meanwhile, I once again attended the Tuesday Tangier festivities this week to see Amy Cooper and Gregory Page team up with Tom Brosseau, Gus Black, and Angela Correa. Recommendation to bands: Don't book shows against Gregory Page, you will lose... that is unless your last name is Gundmundsdottir. Then please give me your hand in marriage... In any case, I'll reconfirm that Cooper is a superstar in the making. She played solo this time, which enabled us to get a better listen of that clear, rich voice we love. She sold out of her demo CD so we couldn't take her home with us, but she'll be back opening for Hem on the 28th at the Hotel Cafe.

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies or go to http://la-underground.textamerica.com/.
  Blog