Speakers and Pilots Make The Scene
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Speakers and Pilots Make The Scene
So I was supposed to be at another show, but a last minute addition to their Monday night lineup made Spaceland the winner. I hadn't seen On the Speakers in awhile and why Sefchick's band isn't a hit with the kids is beyond me since his brilliant melodic touch that he did with Creeper Lagoon is still there. And Ford's 6-string magic is effortless. Anyway, we all should go see them more often... Next, was October's residents The High Speed Scene. Like many others, I spotted them around the time Williams and Hugo signed them as the first rock act to the Star Trak label. So I'm a relative n00b like everyone else having seen them only a handful of times. For some reason, I always want to a hear a second guitar doing some lickity split chops. One guitar just sounds lonely for their arena rock sound... Anyway, good as it was to see OTS and HSS, I really came for Idiot Pilot. Got to keep track on Aaronson's signings, boys and girls. He's usually on the mark (Eisley, Hot Hot Heat, Avenged Sevenfold) and I think these boys from Bellingham are on to something, albeit still in need of some of fine tuning on stage. Anderson ended up with bloody fingers (probably from smashing his hand into his strings instead of strumming them) but that was all the more entertaining, especially when he had to cue up the next rhythm sequence on his Powerbook. I believe it was their debut in Los Angeles so take note that they might be headlining next time around...

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies or go to http://la-underground.textamerica.com/.
  Blog