It's Friday night so everythang is poppin
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Monday, August 16, 2004
It's Friday night so everythang is poppin
It really takes a lot for locals to hit Hollywood Blvd. on a Friday night with theatre, concert, and walk of fame goers scrambling for parking places like an evil game of musical chairs. Reason #1 for me was MF Doom performing at the Fonda. Quite a scene just trying to get in the place, which was a bit odd since hardly anyone showed up for his performance at this year's Coachella and some of those that did shockingly dissed him and Kool Keith from the sidelines... Unfortunately, I had to leave early if I was to make The Fold's debut at King King just a few blocks down, aka Reason #2 for me being on Hollywood Blvd. on a weekend. With the lineup Sterling put together on Friday, there wasn't really a question. I arrived a few songs into The Sharp Ease's set. It's been a few years since I'd seen this band and I don't really know why I've waited so long. I really liked The Grown Ups and have fond memories of Parfrey constantly throwing her sweaty, curvy body into the loving arms of her fans at The Garage. She still has the same swagger but with a better batch of songs. I'm likely never to miss another Ease show again... I would never call myself a scenester, mainly because how can any scenester say they've only seen Kennedy once. I believe scenester law prohibits any local from seeing this band less than ten times. Admittedly, I have only seen Kennedy at Largo opening for Brion awhile back, but seated and scared to make the even the slightest noise for fear of Flannagan's wrath is obviously not the way to see this band. LA knows how good they are. No need for me to make their pants tighter... Even if you've never seen The Lovemakers, their reputation for putting on amazing performances proceeds them. Some people call them gimmicky but I think the 'act' is just a bonus to some cleverly written synth-pop. Plus, that makeout interlude session never gets old. Just ask Interscope Records... Prior to this week, I think the last time I saw Vagenius was at the Temple Bar with Maimou a few years ago. Later this month, I'll probably see them there again. This band is just absurdly talented. How any band can pull out every 80's cliche and make something modern, relevant, and ultimately unique only touches the surface of their musical imagination. There is not one weakness to this band.

I need an editor.

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies or go to http://la-underground.textamerica.com/.
  Blog