You're Still My Friend, Francisco
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Monday, July 12, 2004
You're Still My Friend, Francisco

Up in the Bay Area for a few days. Inevitable I'd see some things...

First, decided to stop by a group art show at the Shooting Gallery to see Montreal's Heidi Taillefer and SF's Anne Faith Nicholls coupled with LA's Helen Garber and Liz McGrath. I've loved Taillefer's stuff since seeing the artwork she did for Cirque du Soleil's Dralion. And anyone who knows me knows how much I'm in love with McGrath. Since seeing her in the band Tongue at the Sunset Room, oh gosh, years ago I've always admired anything she's done from her band's flyers to her new project Miss Derringer. And I still think Tongue was one of the best LA bands ever.

After a bit of an art lesson we strolled over to the Cafe Du Nord for Martha Wainwright. She just released a new EP called "Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole." Saw her last year open for Jon Brion and she opened with a song called "Factory," which nearly made me want to grab her and make love to her. This time I was able to control myself with several Risperdals. She really should stop playing around and move to LA though... Amy Cooper also played but we missed her. Keep an eye out for her too. She moved back to SF (from NY) and is starting to play regularly up and down the west coast.

Saw some other things (Devendra Banhart, Emily Haines) and ate at some good spots (Luna Park on Valencia St.). But if anyone has any recommendations I'm up here for a few more days. In other news, Lisa Germano has a few dates coming up opening for David Byrne:

8/14/04 - Big Easy, Spokane, WA
8/15/04 - Pier 62/63 Seattle, WA
8/17/04 - Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater, Reno, NV
8/18/04 - John Van Duzer Theatre Arcata, CA
8/20/04 - Oregon Zoo Amphiteatre, Portland, OR
8/21/04 - Britt Pavillion, Jacksonville, OR
8/22/04 - Cal State University - Laxson Auditorium, Chico, CA
8/24/04 - The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA
8/25/04 - The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA

Oh, one more thing... I convinced Gregory to add a myspace page. Be nice and add him. He's really a good guy.

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies

  Blog