4th & Gregory
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Wednesday, July 07, 2004
4th & Gregory
Had to work over the holiday, typical 4th of July. Pretty much worked straight through the weekend and nearly forgot about all the Independence Day action until I heard the booms and fizzles of fireworks coming from the festivities down by the marina. Tried to sleep around 6am (in tears after Portugal's loss to Greece) and still heard several M80-like bursts so I called the 5-0 on those delinquent bitches.

The Gregory Page website is done. Before you critique, let me tell you all that it was done in about three days without much design points except that he wanted big, rough fonts and pictures. That's it. No examples. Nothing. So with a 3-day deadline (he needs to promote his upcoming tour with Marshall Crenshaw), I did what I could. With that said, send hate mail to hateallyouwant@icouldcareless.com.

A little background on Gregory Page... In the early 90's, I lived in San Diego and used to hang around the cafes of Pacific and Ocean Beaches even though I really don't drink coffee and hate hippies... Anyway, there was a free open mic down at the Innerchange where Poltz, Jewel, Cindy Lee Berryhill, and a bunch of other hippie folkies used to pretend they were Bob Dylan or Joan Baez. It was there where I first encountered Gregory, the hippiest of them all, who was and still is the best pure singer-songwriter I've ever heard. We've been friends ever since... Even when he made out with Jewel in the back of the infamous van she used to sleep in during the "hard times," I forgave him. Even when he went electric, I stuck by him. And even when he filed a restraining order for stalking him until he played "Song For Martha" for me, I hung in there. Now the guy sends me 50 emails a day all over my jock, yo. With that said, I offer you gregorypage.com and to give you a taste of this guy's genius, here's an mp3 of my favorite song from my favorite album from last year. Don't tell him, he hates you music stealing f'ers.

Maybe I'll try to convince him to get himself up on myspace. He's kind of a recluse.

  Blog