Heroes and Villains at 1650
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Saturday, June 12, 2004
Heroes and Villains at 1650
Didn't tell anyone and went solo to 1650 for paloalto and Kate Earl. I haven't been to this club in years. I think the last time was when Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948 and Tsar played there. That was MST1948's farewell show.

A moment of silence please...

Anyway, Ms. Earl, if you hadn't heard, is one of the new ladies to the singer-songwriter scene. Seen her open for Patrick Park and The Like along with some showcases at the Vroom and elsewhere. Anyway, she's great. Didn't really like the mix of her performance (everything sounded muddy) but she's really one to look out for (If I were Columbia Records, I'd sign her... hint). After some not-so-great band called Hayes, Zach Hexum was up. The show was actually a CD release thing for this guy, who's the brother of Nick Hexum (311). I'd say 99
he people in attendance were there to see him and they seemed to like him but I think most of the girls in tube tops really wanted to get on his bandwagon so that they could get backstage passes for 311 shows. Nothing against his music, but I slept in the corner and waited for paloalto who should have been placed in the Hayes spot so I could have left early for Par Avion. In any case, paloalto remains to be one of the least appreciated bands in LA and the world in general. It's really a shame because they'll probably wind up like Remy Zero or Zoo Story, two good pop/rock bands who eventually met their maker.

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies

  Blog