Easing the Pain...
LA-UNDERGROUND: LOS ANGELES LOVES YOU
 
Wednesday, June 16, 2004
Easing the Pain...
So the Lakers lost but Detroit really deserved it. Although I'm a Lakers devotee it was pretty clear after game 1 that we would not see the kind of team-oriented game play there was in the San Antonio series (the real NBA Finals). Like all things, we'll get over it.

To ease the pain (I stopped watching before the end of the first half), we went to a couple of shows around Hollywood.

9:10PM

The first was at the Key Club for another dose of Ruby. Two bands that have piqued my interest over the past few years were playing on the same bill. The Killingtons are local but they still are pretty unknown considering the show was free and it was a sparse crowd. Live, the band could have a bit more energy. A lot of times they look downright bored. Nevertheless, "Weekend Drive" is a brilliant song. I'd sign them off that track alone.

New Zealand's The Have were next and were showcasing for all the weasels that were waiting for Abandoned Pools to hit the stage at Vroom. I was impressed. Extremely tight set and they blazed through it, applause growing louder after each song. As impressed as I was, they're still a tough sell. Dirty, southern-style sleaze rock has never sold well in the states and I'm sure execs will think deeply before the papers are drawn.

11:01PM

Jetted toward Tempest to catch Sara Radle. Ms. Radle used to be in a little band out of Texas called Lucy Loves Schroeder. She's since gone solo and made her way to California for a few shows. Really reminded me of That Dog, especially one of the last songs (the only one not on any of her releases). In any case, she really was a delight to watch. If she's smart she'll move westward...

12:15AM

Before heading home, decided to check out Cinespace for a little Killers DJ action. I liked the mix with The Faint's "Agenda Suicide" to Blondie's "Dreaming." Clever.

1:48AM

Got a $45 parking ticket. I blame the Lakers.

Photos removed for bandwidth. Contact me if you'd like copies

  Blog